Monday, August 24, 2009

A few quiet minutes

I don't think it really sunk in before I had kids exactly how little time there would be in the day to do anything "kid free". I love my kids to pieces but in order to stay sane I really do need some time to just zone out guilt free. For those readers that see me twice a week at Johnny, understand that sometimes that is the ONLY time I spend that entire day (as in a twenty four hour day here people) without a child within arm's reach. Today was one of those days. The Peanut napped right before I got home. He didn't so much as close his eyes again until he went to bed a little after seven. That is a really long time for someone as little as he is. I spent in the neighborhood of three hours today trying to get one or the other of them to sleep. I hate it when that happens. I feel like I spent the entire afternoon trying to get Peanut to nap and therefore all my energy for him went to that instead of to fun stuff like reading books with him or playing. And I just don't know what to think about Weebles' sleep these days. Things have improved a little bit in that she isn't waking every couple of hours crying anymore but it takes an act of congress to get that child to sleep. She is happy at least, singing and telling stories and snuggling around under the covers and pillows but lying in the dark with her for an hour plus each night is seriously eating into the two hour window I am generally left with at the end of the day. Plus, it is kind of hard to get up and do things after snuggling in bed forever that late in the day. At that point I feel like going to sleep. And to top it off she is in our bed all night now, Andrew had quit even trying to move her to her room so that sort of takes a lot of options off the table for me. Like reading in bed, or twittering in bed, or blogging in bed.. you get the idea. Now of course her room is a shambles so we couldn't put her up there even if she would sleep up there. Hopefully we can make some good progress this weekend on getting it back in order. Going to bed when she does would make a ton of sense in that I could finally catch up on some sleep but I find when I go days without an hour or two to do something totally non-kid related my morale takes a serious hit and when dealing with the PPD that can be a treacherous place to go. Luckily I get to go to work in the morning, heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment