Tuesday, March 17, 2009

When you're smilin'... the whole world smiles with you

It's no secret that the Peanut came into this world a grumpy little fella. And I don't blame him as he was very nearly born in the car and came so fast his entire face was bruised and he had a giant knot on his head for the first few weeks. I didn't know what to do with an unhappy baby. Weebles had been so laid back and would just fall asleep any ol' place you put her. She'd sleep through big family dinners, through many rounds of "pass the baby" really just about anywhere when the mood struck her. This said on a day she's decided she's going to pass on her nap thankyouverymuch but anyway... Peanut spent the better part of the first month of his life screaming bloody murder. Mercifully he seemed to feel better at nighttime and would actually sleep fairly well but we were on pins and needles at all other times. I was exhausted, Andrew was exhausted, the grandparents were a little intimidated to hold him lest he have a total breakdown and we were all at a loss. The pediatrician said he was having a hard time adjusting to all the lights and sounds and my response to that was bulls*&t there is something seriously wrong. But it looks like she just might have been right. Once he started to flash those big gummy grins I realized that he does happy just as intensly as he does sad and it is so worth it. Now I feel fairly certain that I can calm him when he gets upset. We still haven't gotten to the point where I'm willing to leave him for longer than an hour but I actually can imagine getting to that point in the near future and its amazing. He is just so darn happy most of the time now that I just can't get over it and as any mother will tell you if your kids are happy then all is right in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment