Monday, March 23, 2009

Terrible Twos?

The Weebles has been on a sleep strike and pairing that with her new-found flair for the dramatic does make for some interesting tantrums. It's hard to get stressed over a tantrum when the cause is so mundane. For example, she is currently obsessed with ChapStick. I can't blame her, I am too. The problem is that she eats it and that's just not going to work for me. Not only is it gross and not good for her (ugh petroleum based products, but I put too many expensive organic equivalents through the wash to justify the expense) but I am addicted to them and between her and the darn cats I'm already down to only one or two that I can find. If I do not let her have my ChapStick she will wail as though it is the end of the world. She will throw herself on the floor and scream. Being the good mom, I usually laugh. Really, what do you do? It's actually pretty funny. But I know it's important to try to help her identify and work through all these feelings she just isn't capable of handling yet. She isn't trying to be a brat to get her way, she honestly just doesn't know how to handle such awesome disappointment. So I try to keep a straight face and explain why she can't have it then divert, divert, divert. This scene is repeated at least once an hour throughout the day over my water glass, pens, her blankie, a rock, being allowed into the refrigerator, or being shut anywhere for any length of time away from me. Oh! And being put in the high chair. Holy Hand Grenades she HATES being put in that high chair. I've resorted to letting her "picnic" for meals during the day. Let's just say I had to vacuum cereal out of the sheets this morning. I think I'm going to start a list of things I never thought I'd do...

No comments:

Post a Comment