Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

As I'm sure most everyone in this country can relate, I will never forget that morning. I was at Johnny T, where else? It was bright and early and I had a girl coming in for an interview that morning. CNN.com was going sllooowwww and we had the radio on. I thought I heard something about a plane and the announcer was really animated sounding. Then the phone rang and it was Jimmy calling MB to tell her what was going on. We listened and things reached the almost panic stage where we just didn't know what was going to happen next. Was this going to happen everywhere? They said on the radio that nuclear power plants were possible targets and the guy I was seeing at the time was at school fairly close to one. My interview, Denise, arrived and we had to tell her what was going on. I'm not sure we really interviewed her, but she got the job anyway. After she left I drove to my parents' house nearby and got a TV to take back to work. We all sat on the counter and watched the static-y images on the local station. The boss decided we should just go home. My parents and I spent the rest of the day watching CNN. They stayed with me that night so I wouldn't be by myself in the house and I pulled the big screen over so we could see it from my bedroom. People searching for loved ones, analysts trying to figure out what in the hell had happened. The enormity of it sinking in.

I've heard a lot of people say that date changed their lives. I don't know if I really attribute September 11th with me deciding to finally make some big changes or not. Shortly thereafter the Power Plant guy and I finally gave up and I started dating Andrew. That following fall was actually one of the happiest times in recent memory. Maybe that date should serve to remind us what REAL problems are. Banging my toe on the table leg, getting up in the middle of the night with the kids for the nine thousandth time, my daughter powering off my laptop (AGAIN!) in the middle of a post... So So SO not a big deal. I am incredibly blessed. I'm going to spend today focusing on all the things right in the world. So those bastards don't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment