Monday, January 4, 2010

First Day of School Jitters

There was crying, there were attempts to back out, there was a LOT of second guessing.. of course all of that was me. Today was the Weebs' first day of preschool. She'll be going three mornings a week. I don't go in for Gymboree or play dates or basically anything that involves me sitting around with other moms singing nursery rhymes. I've never been good at that sort of social interaction and I don't know that now is the time to take up the hobby. I wanted her to have interaction with kids her own age and get out of the house some.

So this morning we packed up everything on the list we were given. Let me tell you, it felt downright weird to be writing her name on her cup and extra clothes. I guess I'm spoiled being able to stay home with the kids pretty much full time. Andrew and I both went to drop her off since he had never been there before. She ran off when we got there to play and didn't even look back. Whew. I didn't fare quite as well, but felt better about it than I had thought I would.

Around 10:30 I got a call that she was upset and asking for something and they couldn't figure out what. Her "bonky??" the teacher said. Poor baby wanted her blankie. I didn't send it because it is super frail, luckily I had it in the car with me. I drove it over with the plan that they would sneak it in to her to see if it helped. Once I got there I could hear her though and there was no way I wasn't going to go in and reassure her. She wasn't actually all that upset at that point. There were a couple of other kids that were really freaking out and she was sort of staring at them so I think it was distracting her from her own drama. She was still happy to see me and after she calmed the rest of the way down I helped her put on her coat and shoes and we went outside for playground time with the rest of her class. She ventured around on her own a bit and when it was time to go back inside I went ahead and took her home. The real test will be tomorrow I guess. Hopefully she will be excited to be back and the day will go even better. And maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll handle it better too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment